emacs-tangents

Re: 2016-05-23 Emacs News

From: Rolf Ade
Subject: Re: 2016-05-23 Emacs News
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 18:01:20 +0200

Nicolas Richard <address@hidden> writes:
> Rolf Ade <address@hidden> writes:
>> Is what the article demonstrates something special to the 'build-in'
>> function sort or to emacs lisp? It would help me, if someone explains
>> what happen in this example in other words (not in implementation detail
>> but language concepts).
>
> Note : meanwhile I saw Marcin posted a much shorter re-explanation... oh
> well, I'll just post this anyway :)
>
> [Step-by-step explanation]

Saw your post only after answering to Marcin. Thank you very much for
going into that lengths, I really appreciate.

Maybe some light is shining into my darkness. It boils down to the
difference between (quote (1 3 2)) and (list 1 3 2). `(elisp)Printed
Representation' has probably the crucical sentences:

  "In other languages, an expression is text; it has no other form.  In
Lisp, an expression is primarily a Lisp object and only secondarily the
text that is the object’s read syntax."

Still have to dig around more on this road; I would lie if I claim it's
all clear now ...