emacs-tangents

RE: New EmacsWiki theme v2

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New EmacsWiki theme v2
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 21:47:17 -0800 (PST)

> > Yeah, I searched through all the Google Fonts to try to find a good serif
> > font but they all seemed either too light or too heavy, so ended up just
> > using Garamond and URW Palladio L - the Garamond was a bit light but I
> > kind of got used to it.
>
> Why do you even want to specify a font for body text?
>
> The user already has one favorite serif font, one favorite sans-serif
> font, and one favorite monospaced font, and has them configured in
> their browser preferences. Any change from that will lead to a
> decrease in legibility for that particular user.
>
> (Overriding fonts for headings is okay. But very sparingly.)

+1, for respecting a user's choice (browser settings/preferences).

On the other hand, choosing a particular style for using the wiki
is also a user choice.

This is also why I think that such a choice (for a style/CSS)
should be opt-in, with the default being vanilla HTML.  Instead,
the current default appearance is a particular CSS style.

But at least users do have a choice of styles, including one
that is pretty much vanilla HTML.