emacs-tangents

Re: ASCII-only startup message?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: ASCII-only startup message?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:06:18 +0000

[ redirected to emacs-tangents ]

Hello, Nikolai

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 03:59:00PM +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> My point is that the English will use single quotes a lot more than
> Americans, given that they use them for the first level of quoting.

Well, I'm not quite English, but I grew up in England and was educated
there.  I find myself using double quotes at the first level, always.

> As they also tend to shy away from contractions, in far more areas
> than academic writing, ....

I'm, you're, she's, we're, you're, they're, I've, you've, it's, we've,
they've, can't, won't, wouldn't, couldn't, amn't, aren't, isn't,
weren't, I'll've, you'll've, .... are part of my normal working
vocabulary.  Where do you get the idea that the English avoid
contractions?  (That's a genuine question, not a rhetorical one.)

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).