emacs-tangents

Re: The xwidget branch origin story

From: joakim
Subject: Re: The xwidget branch origin story
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 22:16:12 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> Emacs already has lisp/widget.el and lisp/wid-edit.el with a set of widget-*
>> functions used by customize.
>
>> Any name using widget will lead to confusion - please try to find a name
>> that does not clash with an existing feature.
>
> Andy makes an excellent point: "widgets" (without clarification) have a
> precise meaning, so "Emacs widgets" vs. "emacs-widgets" would cause a great
> deal of confusion.
>
> We need another name for these interactive objects that can be inserted into a
> buffer, whose functionality is not implemented by Emacs itself. Sort of
> like... hosted components, gadgets?

To demonstrate my lack of naming skills:

- ele : emacs linking and embedding. But thats a bit short for a unique
prefix

- elec : emacs linking and embedding controls

- eniac : emacs native interactive advanced controls

I guess I'll stop now.

But I think I need to do a rename soon, and it would be some work to get
it right, so I would like to have some consensus on a name before I do it.

--
Joakim Verona