emacs-tangents

RE: The xwidget branch origin story

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: The xwidget branch origin story
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 11:31:59 -0800 (PST)

> > Another thing that gets asked a lot is the xwidget name. I just combined
> > 'x' meaning any, and widget, thus xwidget. I needed a prefix in the code.
> > In retrospect the name wasn't very descriptive, because people believe that
> > the branch is only meant for X windows, which it isn't, even if I only have
> > tested it there.
>
> Thanks for the background history, Joakim! And yes, until I read this, I
> had thought it was only for X11 as well. :)

Why not rename it?  Emacs Lisp has stuff that uses the prefix `x-',
and at least originally, that stuff had to do with X Window.  Most
of it has been renamed to drop the `x-'.

Since `xwidget' is misleading people, and the `x' doesn't help in
any way, please just rename it.  But we also already have Emacs
code concerning widgets, so maybe try to come up with a name that
is specific to these particular widgets or their use.