emacs-tangents

Re: Too few people taking care of bug reports, was: Re: Release process

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Too few people taking care of bug reports, was: Re: Release process (was Re: Move to a cadence release model?)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 23:23:45 +0200

On 11/11/2015 11:10 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I think a significant part of that problem is self-imposed.

Not sure I understand what you mean by that.  Self-imposed by me?

By the Emacs developers, collectively, over time. I don't know who's responsible for each issue in particular.

I disagree.  IME, frequently just looking or stepping through
unfamiliar code can reveal bugs whose reasons we can easily understand
and fix.  Just a few minutes ago I had this experience once more, see
bug#21881.  I assure you I knew nothing at all about mm-url.el, and
still don't.  Still, it took me just a few minutes to understand why
EWW barfs and see the solution that I'm sure is right.

I'm not saying I couldn't do that, but there's a limit to the number of areas I want to be familiar with. I also have limited of time and other projects, starving for attention.

I'm also currently exhausted by trying to explain the difference between "project" and "libraries", to some people, over a zillion email messages.

You should try this some time.  I think everybody here should.

The above is the primary method I do get acquainted with new code.

Bottom line is: people like you and me (and many others here) know
quite a lot about Emacs and about debugging, and can find solutions to
many bugs even in unfamiliar code.

Been there, done that. Especially in third-party code, where it's much easier to discuss the issues, explore the code, etc, everything without closing the browser.

As for the bug tracker, I don't see how it could have such a
detrimental effect on potential contributors.  It's just a mailing
list, not unlike this one.

"Just a mailing list" is already a big barrier. First, most users are unaccustomed to dealing with mailing lists. Second, many that are, still expect a bug tracker to be something more.

I'm not saying there's no place for improvements, but I cannot imagine
that the reason for such a small number of people who work on bugs is
the bug tracker.  I think it's more likely the fear of diving into
unfamiliar code.

How do you explain the low number of users triaging the bugs?