Re: multipage html output

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Re: multipage html output
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 18:31:30 +0200

Hi,

 don't know, I understand what you're after. Questions below.

Am Samstag, den 17. August 2024 um 14:05:07 Uhr (+0000) schrieb Ihor Radchenko:

> Let's try to do it differently:
>
> 1. Introduce a new INFO plist field :multipage-pages - a list of extra
>    pages to be exported in addition to the main document
>
> 2. Transcoders can populate the list as needed, in addition to their
>    normal return value, which may be a link to the page, for example
> 3. "pages" in the list, can be constructed using
>    `org-export-with-backend' or other usual means to export data.
> 4. org-export-as will process all the pages from :multipage-pages in
>    addition to the one returned by `org-export-data'.

 What does "in addition to the main document" or "to the one returned
by `org-export-data'" mean? In the current multipage code,
org-export-data returns a list of strings corresponding to the
exported pages.

In the case of html multipage output: Should :multipage-pages contain
what is supposed to get exported by the multipage-html subbackend, or
should the pages to be exported be left as subpages of org-data in the
:parse-tree like as it is now? If they are contained in
:multipage-pages, we don't need any rendering of the org-data node in
the :parse-tree. Should the elements of org-data then just get deleted
and we return an empty string from org-export-as in addition to the
list of strings from :multipage-pages?

> I believe that this approach should be the least breaking and the most
> flexible.
>
> WDYT?

Can't tell until I've fully understood your proposal.

> With my idea above, we handle the actual page rendering to a custom
> backend, which can reuse the normal TOC machinery, possibly encapsulated
> into sub-backend parameters. We can provide any additional info that is
> necessary within such sub-backend.

It's not clear to me, how the encapsulation of parameters is handled,
who is writing the output files, etc. Sorry, I'm just confused...

> Do note that we should not assume that each page corresponds to a
> headline in ox.el. It may be anything.

Sure.

--
Orm