Re: [BUG] `org-delete-char` and `org-delete-backward-char` don't respect

From: Okamsn
Subject: Re: [BUG] `org-delete-char` and `org-delete-backward-char` don't respect `delete-active-region`
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 01:56:21 +0000

On 2023-06-21 10:14 UTC, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Okamsn <okamsn@protonmail.com> writes:
>
>> `org-delete-char` and `org-delete-backward-char` don't respect
>> `delete-active-region`
>
> Clarification first.
> `org-delete-char' and `org-delete-backward-char' are not supposed to
> respect `delete-active-region'. They are the replacements for
> `delete-char' and `delete-backward-char' that also do not respect it.
> Org only re-binds `delete-char' and `delete-backward-char' >
>> This works when `delete` is bound to `forward-delete-char` and
>> `backspace` is bound to `backward-delete-char-untabify`, because both
>> commands respect `delete-active-region`.
>>
>> This does not work with `org-delete-backward-char` or `org-delete-char`,
>> because those commands use `delete-char`, which does not respect
>> `delete-active-region`.
>
> May you please explain what exactly you did? Or meow did? Did it bind
> the Org functions inappropriately? Or are you asking to add new Org
> commands that respect `delete-active-region'?

Thank you for the clarification. In my config, I had remapped
`delete-char` to `delete-forward-char` years ago and I had forgotten
that I did that. In Emacs 29, I see in the definition of
`delete-backward-char` that this command _does_ respect
`delete-active-region`, and that `delete-char` does not respect this
setting.

Meow only sets `delete-active-region` to nil. It does not bind any Org
commands. I only mentioned it to give context. My apologies for any
confusion.

With your clarification, I am asking that Org commands be added/changed
to support `delete-active-region`.

Thank you.