Re: Hyphen after LaTeX fragments

From: Dominik Schrempf
Subject: Re: Hyphen after LaTeX fragments
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 13:35:28 +0100

> Dominik Schrempf <dominik.schrempf@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Maybe the best thing to do is drop support for $...$ completely?
>
> We cannot do it. Otherwise, existing Org documents may be broken.

Well, and as detailed later in my mail, I meant deprecating support for
$...$. But thanks for pointing this out!

>> I quote the Org mode manual section about $...$ syntax:
>>
>>     Text within the usual LaTeX math delimiters. To avoid conflicts with
>>     currency specifications, single ‘$’ characters are only recognized
>>     as math delimiters if the enclosed text contains at most two line
>>     breaks, is directly attached to the ‘$’ characters with no
>>     whitespace in between, and if the closing ‘$’ is followed by
>>     whitespace, punctuation or a dash. For the other delimiters, there
>>     is no such restriction, so when in doubt, use ‘\(...\)’ as inline
>>     math delimiters.
>>
>> I think this is HIGHLY confusing. I think we should write something
>> along the lines: "Do not use $...$. Only for reasons of backwards
>> compatibility, $...$ syntax is partly (!) supported."
>
> Feel free to provide a patch.

I think that a change in the documentation alone is insufficient. We
need to make sure that all current and future maintainers of org-latex
are aware of the decision to deprecate $...$ (if we make this decision).
How do we do that?