Re: org-ctags land grab

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-ctags land grab
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 12:03:55 +0000

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> `org-ctags' unilaterally sets the hook `org-open-link-functions' to a
> bunch of org-ctags functions and enables itself by default. That has
> the unfortunate consequence of invalidating the documentation for
> internal CUSTOM_ID links - see
>
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/76351/how-to-follow-an-internal-link-in-recent-org-mode

As documented in the top comment of org-ctags.el, the default behaviour
of C-c C-o is modified as you observe:

    ;; By default, with org-ctags loaded, org will first try and visit the tag
    ;; with the same name as the link; then, if unsuccessful, ask the user if
    ;; he/she wants to rebuild the 'TAGS' database and try again; then ask if
    ;; the user wishes to append 'tag' as a new toplevel heading at the end of
    ;; the buffer; and finally, defer to org's default behavior which is to
    ;; search the entire text of the current buffer for 'tag'.

> I proposed a work-around, but it seems to me that `org-ctags'
> functionality should be opt-in and there should be a way to turn it
> off.

It is off by default.

> In addition, it needs a better way to interpolate itself into the
> link ecosystem: breaking internal link functionality is rather
> obnoxious IMO.

It is not breaking the functionality. If you go through the afferent
dialogues, saying "no", it will finally fall back to default Org link
behaviour.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,