Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEA

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 21:42:39 +0700

On 10/02/2023 10:29, Jean Louis wrote:
https://icalendar.org/iCalendar-RFC-5545/3-3-5-date-time.html

,----
| The form of date and time with UTC offset MUST NOT be used. For
| example, the following is not valid for a DATE-TIME value:
|
|  19980119T230000-0800       ;Invalid time format
`----

As with the above format, author would maybe think it is alright, but
in general it is confusing. If author wish to specify UTC time, then
no offset shall be used.

RFC-5545 specifies a machine readable format. Org files are for humans even in raw text format. Decisions suitable for iCalendar are not always applicable for Org.

The timestamp in the examples follows ISO-8601 and I have no idea why it is confusing.

Offsets for RFC5545 means
- More code for parsing (negligible amount though)
- Due to wide spread confusions, an implementer may pretend that timezones are supported just because offsets are saved despite missed IANA TZ ID.

In respect to Org offsets and time zone identifiers are discussed in this thread in details. As a format for humans it should be more permissible and convenient for direct typing. There is no reason to insist on UTC where timestamps with fixed offsets are equally valid.