Re: RFC on implementation adding buttons beside headings

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: RFC on implementation adding buttons beside headings
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 11:04:42 +0000

pareto optimal <pareto.optimal@mailfence.com> writes:

> I've recently been playing with emacs on Android and wanted an easier way to
> clock in.
>
> My idea was to put buttons beside org headings that are TODO items. I do this
> by:
>
> - removing clocking buttons on heading if present, then adding a clock in
> button onĀ 'org-after-todo-state-change-hook`

Alternatives can be:
1. Showing a side buffer with context-dependent buttons
2. Utilizing context menu

> I'm new to using buttons and emacs and I found the only way to place the
> button where I wanted was to insert some blank space after the heading. Is
> that expected and best practice or is there some other way to do it?

AFAIK, buttons must be on top of actual text.
You can also use `insert-button'.

> Would this be something useful in core org-mode? I know at least a few
> friends who've asked me "why isn't there some button I can click by headings
> to clock in" when I showed them how I use org-mode.

Mobile support will certainly be useful.

Though I'd prefer not to modify the buffer and instead use a
side window. That way, you can write a minor mode that will create
configurable buttons depending on major mode and cursor position in the
buffer. The buttons will also have a fixed size, possibly utilizing
larger fonts-a useful thing to have on smartphones.

Such minor mode may then be not restricted to Org mode and could be
used, say, in Org agenda or other major modes in Emacs.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,