Re: [BUG] #+cite_export: ... bibstyle citestyle cannot be universally us

From: Edgar Lux
Subject: Re: [BUG] #+cite_export: ... bibstyle citestyle cannot be universally used as global defaults (was: Patch for \usepackage[ ... natbib = true ...]{...biblatex} with org-cite)
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 00:14:59 +0100 (CET)

Dear Ihor,

On Feb 4, 2023 at 12:31 PM, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:Edgar
Lux <edgarlux@mailfence.com> writes:

> For example, ... the proposed idea is
> a bit awkward:

> #+cite_export: processor[opt1=val1,opt2=val2,...] bibliography-style[...]
> citation-style[...]
>
> I assumed that there is one "major" bibliography-style/citation-style.
> However, it is not really the case in practice. The styles are combined.

First of all, I quickly glanced at the other citation processors, and they seem
to have been implemented with a different design in Org. This *may* have to do
with biblatex being more advanced (disclaimer: I'm not saying that it actually
is, it's a possibility only).

If the idea is that all processors are going to get the same syntax, I think
that the implementation may not suit one of them. At that point, it may be that
the filters will have to be adapted to specific processors in contrived ways.
This of course will be much dependent on the choice of processors chosen to be
supported by Org. Some other groups may decide to implement, for example, the
JabRef #+cite_export (this does not imply that JabRef is a citation processor,
it's just a colourful example).

> For example, adding links to bibliography to citations is applied
> regardless of the particular citation command being used.
>
> So, I am not leaning closer to only allowing options being passed to
> "processor", but not to styles. This will at least come closer to
> certain settings being citation package global config applied to
> everything. If we have options applied to specific citation commands,
> they will rather fit into citation-style/sub-style.
>
> #+cite_export: processor[opt1=val1,opt2=val2,...] bibliography-style
> citation-style

If it were me, I would consider just having the options as =#+cite_export:
processor :options "anything"=. If the bibliography-style is important for the
user and processor, may be default values can be provided; and let the user
read some documentation option which are needed to run her particular processor
(provided by them, not necessarily Org). Again, being completely honest, I
don't think that you should put a dummy (like me) making these very relevant
decisions.

--
Sent with https://mailfence.com
Secure and private email