Re: org-clock idle time in pgtk Emacs

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: org-clock idle time in pgtk Emacs
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 22:07:20 +0700

On 03/02/2023 19:17, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Julien Cubizolles writes:

May I know where "jc-idle-time" is coming from? Is it a built-in command
on wayland?

Sorry, I forgot to mention. It's a custom python program, working both
in X11 and wayland. I didn't find a built-in command.

I would prefer something built-in or, at least, available via OS'
package manager.

It seems, one can obtain the python package using

pip install idle-time

https://pypi.org/project/idle-time/

The issue is that the project has just 2 commits, a pull request for wider support of various environments is ignored by the author. The package already has CLI interface, but output format is not script-friendly:

https://github.com/escaped/idle_time/blob/master/idle_time/__main__.py
print(f"Idle time: {monitor.get_idle_time()}s")

python3 -m idle-time

This does not look pgtk-specific. Is it?

I see X11 and Windows in the implementation. xprintidle might be more reliable though.

As to Org my opinion is still that a defcustom for user-defined function returning idle may be a better option.