Re: [BUG] org-manual: Using bookmarklet for org-capture is no longer rel

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-manual: Using bookmarklet for org-capture is no longer reliable
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 22:02:02 +0700

On 02/02/2023 21:17, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

Would it be reasonable to make org-protocol raise Emacs frame on
failure?

Raising frame may help if window manager allows to do it. In some cases
the only possibility for a window is to request attention. Creating new
frame may be more reliable. Window manager may still take measures
against focus stealing. I have heard that such feature exist, but I am
unsure concerning severity of such policy.

That's usually up to user.

I would not be so sure for windows. Even on Linux Org should be ready for any user configuration of window manager.

However I was writing a more annoying issue. Firefox may quietly swallow
attempt to launch external protocol handler. Even no message is spitted
to console like in the case of unknown protocol or throttling due to
multiple attempts during short interval of time. Emacs is completely
unaware of capture attempt in such case.

Can Firefox extensions use DBUS?

Browser extensions are isolated as much as possible. It is assumed that they communicate with web sites. They may communicate with a native messaging application however. It must be installed and configured in addition to the extension. This native host application may use D-BUS, but it may invoke emacsclient directly. E.g. I use https://github.com/maxnikulin/linkremark extension with https://github.com/maxnikulin/burl native messaging helper.

I have not checked state of affairs recently, but when I tried native messaging applications were unavailable for browsers shipped as snap or flatpack packages (due to additional level of isolation). At least some related Firefox bugs have not closed yet.

So in practice it is possible to get it working in both cases: external protocol handlers and native messaging helper. I would call any approach "rock solid" currently.