Re: POSIX TS spec reverses the meaning of TZ offset compared to ISO (was

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: POSIX TS spec reverses the meaning of TZ offset compared to ISO (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 22:16:16 +0700

On 01/02/2023 20:26, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

There is potential confusion coming from the different interpretations
of the time zone offsets used in ISO8601 and POSIX TZ specs:

Ihor, I am sorry that I did not reply to your early question.

Is there a strong reason to support POSIX TZ? Time zones with fixed offsets are available as e.g. Etc/GMT-8 (unfortunately inverted sign as well).

In a link posted in this thread I noticed the following:
http://naggum.no/lugm-time.html
Erik Naggum. The Long, Painful History of Time. 1999
8.2 Timezone Representation

David Olsen of Digital Equipment Corporation has laid down a tremendous
amount of work in collecting the timezones of the world and their
daylight saving time boundaries. Contrary to the Unix System V approach
from New Jersey (insert appropriate booing for best effect), which
codifies a daylight saving time regime only for the current year, and
apply it to all years, David Olsen's approach is to maintain tables of
all the timezone changes.

POSIX spec neglects history of changes. At certain moment Firefox used IANA TZ DB with accurate data while Chrome followed JavaScript spec that required POSIX-like approach for local time zone. The latter was pain. I consider POSIX TZ as legacy.