Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEA

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:41:43 +0000

Daryl Manning <daryl@wakatara.com> writes:

> Dense poll. I had a question about this format which is what I assume I'd
> be using if using org-mode with this on a day-to-day basis if given the
> choice.
> (from 2. Timestamp with time zone specifier)

> Normally, when I'm communicating things like standard and daylight savings
> time via mail or verbally, I'd use this if writing emails or what have you.
> ie. 2023-01-31 10:00 EST (or EDT)

AFAIK, 2023-01-31 10:00 @EST will work.
We need "@" because otherwise we may run into trouble if we need to
add more information fields to timestamp syntax.

> Is the +5 offset in the example from the poll here to disambiguate the EST
> from other ESTs (I realize from
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zone_abbreviations these are not
> always unique) or is the idea that someone would have to specify the
> timezone offset each entry rather than saying EST or EDT?

The aim is to pass the @<staff> transparently to glibc. Anything you can
put into TZ environment variable should do. AFAIK, "EST" is allowed via
TZDB (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones)

Note that we will eventually adapt the interactive commands to simplify
entering the time zones. Adding time zone completion is one of the
obvious useful features.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,