Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 23:36:14 +0300

* Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> [2023-01-29 09:33]:
> On 29/01/2023 11:09, Jean Louis wrote:
> > * Tim Cross [2023-01-28 00:15]:
> ------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Jean, you missed it.

It is always pleasure to see how I missed it.

I suggest that you define the problem in Org mode for purposes of
calculations. That way you can solve issues.

> > > I think your misinterpreting the intent here. If you specify a timestamp
> > > with offset, it is fixed.
> >
> > That is what you say. And I am pointing out to international standard
> > references.
>
> You reference and verbose message are hardly relevant. Since something has
> already happened, time offset is known. DST can not change it, either it is
> effective or not at this moment.
>
> 2007-02-03T04:00:00.000+01:00
>
> can not be unambiguously attributed to an IANA timezone ID, however it
> precisely specifies UTC time (time in seconds since epoch, etc.).

Yes, and I do not say different. We understand each other in it.

> Usually (but not necessary) it means 04:00 local time in a timezone 1 hour
> ahead of UTC that moment (you may use it to specify 05:00 in timezone having
> +02:00 offset). It is enough for a lot of applications.

If you are sure, of course, go ahead, I am not sure that using UTC
offset, alone, is good idea for future time calculations.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman