Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 07:18:54 +0300

* Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> [2023-01-27 18:22]:
> I was unsure if goto-mode is a typo or some 3rd party package. Have
> you written that you are aware which way it is implemented?

I am aware of inconsistencies, and I wish Emacs would have it
centralized.

> List of recognized protocols is not a user option, it is hard-coded
> and unrelated to the browse-url-handlers:
>
> defvar thing-at-point-uri-schemes
>
> the list is rather long.

Yes, there are official, unofficial, and just that it is not user
option means nothing much, I am adding to that list what I wish by
using `add-to-list' function, as just as `load-path' variable cannot
be customized with "customize", it can still be changed with
`add-to-list'.

> Developer must consider other features that may be affected by demanded
> changes. False positives are acceptable for thingatpt and goto-address-mode.
> For Org mode balance is different. Too greedy regexp to recognize links may
> have detrimental effect on export and publish, not to mention that links may
> need special treatment. In addition Ihor mentioned fuzzy links.

I got it.

How I understand it, Org should be more deterministic and for that
can't use other available libraries.

> > Org should now hard code new way of opening URL schemes, but use Emacs
> > settings.
>
> Try to derive list of supported schemes from `browse-url-handlers'.

browse-url-handlers ➜ (("gemini:" . elpher-go) ("gopher:"
. elpher-handler-go) ("about:" . hyperscope-about) ("hyperscope:"
. hyperscope-url) ("e2dk://" . amule-handler))

it is user option to be customized.

It is obvious that my idea that URL schemes should be unified may be
reasonable, but there is not enough programming functionality in Emacs
to allow it to be very deterministic. And thus Org has to make it's
own URL handling. That is how I understand, correct me if this is
wrong.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns