[POLL] Use compat.el in Org? (was: Useful package? Compat.el)

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: [POLL] Use compat.el in Org? (was: Useful package? Compat.el)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:23:40 +0000

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> I’ve recently come across an interesting looking library available on ELPA,
> <https://git.sr.ht/~pkal/compat>. I’m thinking in future this could allow us
> both use newer features and also support older versions of Emacs, e.g.
>
> Org 10.X is developed for Emacs 28.1 and newer, but supports Emacs 24.3 and
> newer with compat.el.
>
> Just tossing this out as an idea :)

I have recently been contacted by the current compat.el maintainer
asking if we are willing to adapt compat.el in Org.

Pros:

1. We will have less headache maintaining org-compat.el.
2. We will get an ability to use functions and macros from newer Emacs
   versions almost for free.

Cons:

1. If compat.el happens to lack support of some function, we will need
   to contribute to compat.el directly and synchronize Org releases with
   compat.el releases.

WDYT?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,