Re: [ANN] orgtbl-fit

From: tbanelwebmin
Subject: Re: [ANN] orgtbl-fit
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 20:13:52 +0100

On 1/26/23 11:35, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
tbanelwebmin <tbanelwebmin@free.fr> writes:

Actually, orgtbl-fit is a bridge between Org Mode tables and Calc.

By the way, Org Mode table spreadsheet capabilities are also a bridge
with Calc.

Examples & documentation can be read here:
https://github.com/tbanel/orgtblfit/blob/main/README.org
Interesting.
Could it be somehow integrated with TBLFM formulas?
I imagine something like

? +?*year +?*passengers +?*(year-2016)*passengers

, when set as a column value in table formula, to be auto-updated with
actual coefficients upon re-calculating the table.

Hey! That's an awesome idea.

Expanding on the idea
---------------------

We need to specify the target column ("consumption" in this example). Therefore, the formula could be something like that:

$4 = fit (consumption = ? +?*year +?*passengers +?*(year-2016)*passengers)

It would benefit from other spreadsheet features, like constants and remote references.

On the development side, the TBLFM handling is already quite a big chunk of code. We must take care that such an additional feature do not add complexity and maintenance burden.

Orgtbl-fit as-is

It is also possible to include orgtbl-fit as-is into Org Mode core. It would sit side-by-side with the core without changing anything in its code and its unit-tests.

Data-analysis toolkit

From a higher perspective, we could give a consistent data-analysis toolkit to Org Mode (and call it org-data-analysis.el).

It would start with fitting, clustering & aggregation. Then, new algorithms would be added upon user requests.

Of course, there should be an interest among Org Mode users for such a toolkit.