Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 22:31:08 +0700

On 25/01/2023 00:49, Jean Louis wrote:
* Max Nikulin [2023-01-24 20:25]:
It reminds be complains by some person that Org must be able to recognize
any URL in free-form plain text just because there is a RFC describing
format of URL.

That person did not really propose to Org to do it, but to have Emacs
EWW to be customizable, so that any content type could be opened by
user's settings. You missed the point of it.

I had in mind another person:

Re: URLs with brackets not recognised. Wed, 12 May 2021 22:06:50 +0200.
I disagree. URLs are well-specified. Per RFC 3986, the characters
allowed in a URL are [A-Za-z0-9\-._~!$&'()*+,;=:@\/?]. Org mode should
implement proper URL detection, not asking its users "to give it some
hints" and using "a kind of heuristics". A string either is a valid URL
per the relevant RFCs or it is not.

You probably decided that I was writing about
[WISH]: Let us make EWW browse WWW Org files correctly

That is from my point of view is an excellent example how to bury a valid feature request "allow me to do" by aggressive demand "it must be by default" disregarding unresolved security issues and by adding more noise by discussion of unrelated stuff (should Org files have text/... or application/... mime type).

Back to the topic, URI handling packages have incompatible features. It is the reason why users have to had explicit configuration.