Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 20:49:42 +0300

* Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> [2023-01-24 20:25]:
> On 24/01/2023 01:37, Jean Louis wrote:
> >
> > All URLs defined by Emacs that are to be run by browse-url in Org
> > shall be allowed by org, to let the Emacs settings pass through.
> >
> > And not to hard code it in Org.
>
> It reminds be complains by some person that Org must be able to recognize
> any URL in free-form plain text just because there is a RFC describing
> format of URL.

That person did not really propose to Org to do it, but to have Emacs
EWW to be customizable, so that any content type could be opened by
user's settings. You missed the point of it.

> Try to think from position of a developer.

>From position of developer, developers shall ideally think of users,
and users think of the assistance of computer to users.

Users appreciate developers who make their life easier.

> An entry may be added to `browse-url-handlers' after loading of ol.
>
> org-link and browse-url are so flexible that it would be hard to reliably
> match their entries taking into account different set of supported features.
> The former allows e.g. fuzzy search links, the latter something similar to
> Android deep links.

That means Org authors missed to use Emacs built-ins.

> I have no idea which way you configured mid: links in Org, but this thread
> contains 5 lines that successfully works for me.

When goto-mode works with mid: by me setting up browse-url-handlers,
then I have expected Org to work as well.

But I do not rely on Org mode to use browse-url, rather I rely on Org
using elisp: links.

That is not really "mid:" but it will work for long time and be
independent of Org developers' decisions.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman