Re: org-crypt fails if default key is expired while non-default key is t

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: org-crypt fails if default key is expired while non-default key is to be used
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 15:58:28 +0100

Hi Ihor,

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> When I invoked org-decrypt-entry, decrypting works like always. Then
>> I modified something in this heading which is tagged with :crypt:.
>> On saving that buffer, org-crypt issues an error message:
>>
>> | Error: (error "GPG error: \"Encrypt failed\", \"Unusable public key:
>> | A1234567; Exit\"")
>>
>> This A1234567 key is my default key and not the org-openpgp-key.
>>
>> org-encrypt-entry is causing this error at:
>>
>> |    ;; Text and key have to be identical, otherwise we
>> |    ;; re-crypt.
>> |    (if (and (equal crypt-key key)
>> |             (string= checksum (sha1 contents)))
>> |        (get-text-property 0 'org-crypt-text contents)
>> |      (epg-encrypt-string epg-context contents crypt-key)))
>>
>> After fixing the expiry date of A1234567, org-crypt was working
>> properly, using the correct org-openpgp-key again.
>>
>> I do think this is wrong behavior: when the default key is expired
>> but a specific secondary key is used, encryption should be possible.
>
> All we do here is calling `epg-encrypt-string' with crypt key obtained
> using `org-crypt-key-for-heading', which see.
>
> May I know how exactly did you set `org-crypt-key'? Do you happen to
> have CRYPTKEY properties somewhere in your buffer?

Sure. My config is on
https://github.com/novoid/dot-emacs/blob/master/config.org and I've
set it with:

(setq org-crypt-key "ABC12345")  ;; I may have to mask this online as well ;-)

: grep -i CRYPTKEY *
... is empty when applied to my Org-mode files.

The only thing to fix my situation was to re-import a non-expired
version of my default OpenPGP sec key.

--
get mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML into Org-mode:
Personal Information Management > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/pim/
Emacs-related > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/emacs/