Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 05:55:54 -1000

Aloha Max,

On 21/01/2023 07:37, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
1) Occurrence, where the timestamp includes UTC;
2) Event relative to user, where the timestamp does not include UTC or a
time zone; and 3)
Event not relative to user, where the timestamp includes the relevant time
zone.

For a while I prefer to concentrate on future timestamps and postpone discussion
of ones in the past.

I'm curious to find out how the distinction between past and future makes a difference.
As to format for storage timestamps in Org files, particular timestamps may have or not explicitly specified timezones, but it is unrelated to these 3 cases.

I'm curious to learn the classification unrelated to these three cases used to determine when to store UTC and timezone.

It
may be convenient to keep work.org file with TIMEZONE keyword for location of the office and do not specify it for each timestamps, so during a trip it allows to see correct time of regular meetings. In addition you may have personal.org file where most timestamps assumes timezone of your current presence. In both files some timestamps may have explicit timezone either "local follow me", UTC,
or for particular location.

From my point of view these, 3 cases might be relevant to date-time picker UI, but not for storage format. While parsing, interpretation of each timestamp without explicit timezone depends on preferences chosen at higher scope.

I'm curious what these preferences are, or might be.

Or, it might be a recurring virtual meeting that the boss wants to initiate at 9:00 AM her time, regardless of the time zone she happens to inhabit, as might
happen on a business trip.

I believe that some manual action is required in this case anyway. You almost certainly already have 9:00 AM in your agenda as a reoccurring timestamp either with implicit or explicit timezone of usual presence. For the period of the trip it is necessary to add series of meetings with explicitly specified timezones (UTC or locations during the trip). Another approach is to define ad hoc "boss"
timezone and update it to reflect all trips.

Agreed. The boss needs to inform you what her local time will be for the meeting by sending you a timestamp with a time zone. Ideally, Org would know how to associate the timestamp with a recurring item stored locally.

At the Org side it might be support of multiple ad hoc "timezones": a one for you personal trips and several ones for people you frequently communicate with. It is a nice option, but might be too complicated for usage. It may be easier to suspend regular entry and to add custom ones with no requirements related to the
code. Anyway it assumes some communication between participants.

Nowadays, I am frequently asked by applications to give permission for using my location. When I give it, the application reports back with my local postal code, etc. I'm assuming Org can use location to determine my current timezone.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye