Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:51:20 +1100

Daryl Manning <daryl@wakatara.com> writes:

> Perhaps a leading question (leading to outrage =p ), but does anybody even
> use those anymore?
>
> I don't believe I've used them at all in 5 years of using org-mode (and if I
> did it was most likely because of
> some arcane older feature which required them).
>
> Daryl.
>
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 5:57 PM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
>
>  Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>
>  > <2023-01-14 Sat 18:22@Asia/Singapore>  (SGD and similar abbreviations are
> often ambiguous)
>  > <2023-01-14 Sat 18:22+0800>
>  > <2023-01-14 Sat 18:22+08>
>  > <2023-01-14 Sat 18:22@+0800>
>  > <2023-01-14 Sat 18:22@+08>
>
>  One thing we all missed in the discussion is diary sexps.
>
>  In particular, "last Sunday of month" <%%(diary-float t 0)> may depend
>  on the time zone because the number of days in month may vary.
>
>  How can we approach this? What could the format to specify the time zone
>  for diary timestamps?
>
>  --
>  Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
>  Org mode contributor,
>  Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
>  Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
>  or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>

If your speaking about diary sexp support, I don't use them, but I have
seen a number of threads within the last year regarding people wanting
assistance with getting them right and I get the impression for some use
cases, particularly for repeating events, diary seexp specification is
the easiest way to define them.