Re: New face: org-agenda-calendar-timerange

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: New face: org-agenda-calendar-timerange
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 11:24:45 +0000

gautier@gautierponsinet.xyz writes:

> Please find attached a patch containing two commits.
> The first one applies the face `org-agenda-calendar-event' to entries
> with a time range within a single day.
> The second one defines the new face `org-agenda-calendar-daterange'
> and applies it to entries with a time range on several days. (The
> second commit assumes the first one is already applied.)
>
> Since I am still learning elisp and this is my first contribution, it
> would be very nice if someone could double check the patch, and any
> feedback would be very welcome.

The patch looks good.
Now, just waiting for confirmation from Bastien about your copyright
status records.

> By the way, while trying to understand the code I have discovered the
> commit "cb19f5c94e3dc94da78169ec675d5bd07af34427" by Bastien which I
> don't really understand. The commit message says, talking about
> entries with a timerange:
> "* lisp/org-agenda.el (org-agenda-get-blocks): When both dates are of
> the same value, assume this is a time to display for each date in the
> range."
>
> It seems to me that this should be done by creating repeating tasks
> rather than an entry with a timerange, because suppose I want to put
> in my agenda an event spanning on several days including the precise
> hours at which it starts and ends but which starts and ends on the
> same hour, for example an entry with the following timerange:
>
> <2023-01-19 jeu. 12:00>--<2023-01-26 jeu. 12:00> .

AFAIU, the commit fixed a different scenario:
https://orgmode.org/list/BYAPR07MB573496C31816FE64B71E9D70A5CD0@BYAPR07MB5734.namprd07.prod.outlook.com

<2019-08-05 Mon 08:30-11:00>--<2019-08-09 Fri 08:30-11:00>

(which is, by the way, is not a proper time range, according to Org syntax)

Bastien, the commit asserts that when time parts of the timestamp range
are equal, treat them as repeating event, like <2019-08-05 Mon 08:30-11:00 +1d>
However, when there is an actual date range as in Gautier's example,
things are broken.

I am inclined to revert your commit because the original bug report was
trying to make Org use timestamp format, Org does not really recognize.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,