Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:35:35 +0000

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> Consider this scenario. I have a meeting with two other people. We are
> all in different timezone. What is the timezone of the meeting?

You need to come to an agreement about when to do the meeting. Be it
your TZ, and other participant's TZ, or some other fixed TZ (including
UTC or offsets from it).

> ... we would want some easy way to set this
> when creating the timestamp (and that could be all that is needed - a
> good enhancement to the interface to make it easy to set the timezone)
> and good control over how values are displayed in the agenda and org
> files (i.e. I imagine you might want a default where they are all shown
> in your local time, but similar to working with links, the ability to
> display the 'raw' version for editing and other purposes).

`org-read-date' should definitely be extended to understand time zones.
As for the display, we have `org-display-custom-times'. Might need to
extend it in future, but maybe the existing functionality is already
good enough.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,