Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 09:16:22 -1000

Aloha all,

IIUC, timestamps in Org might be used to track two things: events and occurrences.

An event refers to a particular region of space/time, in Org's case the space/time occupied by the user, regardless of which time zone the user occupies. An event might be "Brush teeth before bed" set for 10:00 PM, which the user would want to make happen at that time, regardless of the time of day in the timezone in which the timestamp was applied to the event.

An occurrence refers to changes in the nature and relations of substances at a time. It takes place in absolute time in order to avoid circularity. An occurrence might be "Attend virtual meeting" set for 9:00 AM on a certain day, which the user would want to make happen at 9:00 AM on that day in the time zone where the timestamp was applied to the occurrence, regardless of the time zone where the user happened to be.

I found this distinction in a book called On Truth by Frank Ramsey, that was unfinished at his untimely death at age 26. "Event" and "occurrence" were Ramsey's suggestions. He seemed to like "event", but thought "occurrence" would work, though it might be improved.

I enjoy having terms for these two kinds of happenings and I'm hopeful you'll find them useful, too.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye