Re: [BUG] Org agenda misbehaves in a side window [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /ho

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [BUG] Org agenda misbehaves in a side window [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/zellerin/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5/)]
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 23:11:20 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> [2023-01-06 17:56]:
> Tomas Zellerin <tomas@zellerin.cz> writes:
>
> > When Agenda buffer is in a side window, several actions fail with
> > "Cannot make side window the only window".
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > emacs -Q
> > in *scratch*, (setq display-buffer-alist '(("\\*Org Agenda\\*"
> > display-buffer-in-side-window)))
> > M-x org-agenda t to display Todo agenda
> > in org-agenda buffer, another M-x org-agenda is observed fails with error
> > above,
> > expected is display the menu to select agenda command
>
> Confirmed.
>
> > Other failing commands are for example changes of todo state in agenda
> > buffer.
> >
> > The reason seems that org-agenda-get-restriction-and-command calls
> > delete-other-window; however, this is not something user observes and
> > expects as effect of those commands.
>
> Sure, but what can we do in order to both fix this and also not break
> the existing behaviour?

You can do this:

GNU Emacs package: rcd-org-agenda-dashboard.el -- RCD Org Agenda Dashboard:
https://gnu.support/gnu-emacs/packages/GNU-Emacs-package-rcd-org-agenda-dashboard-el-RCD-Org-Agenda-Dashboard-76669.html

Follow same principles for Org Agenda, liberate it into derived mode
where people use it just as any other Emacs buffer.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman