Re: Intention of verbatim text?

From: c.buhtz
Subject: Re: Intention of verbatim text?
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 07:50:11 +0000

Thanks for all your feedback.

On 2023-01-04 05:58 Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
> argue that =text= should be rendered as <pre>text</pre>

I did this before but then got them as paragraphs. Not sure how the
correct term of this is in HTML. pre is not inline but handled as an
own paragraph so that you have an extra line in the rendered HTML
output.

> markers/information for =textg=, so wrapping it in a semantic tag
> like <code> is IMO incorrect as we are imposing a semantic
> interpretation without justification.

I also agree that the current org html export is not specific enough
here.

My current solution is to convert ~code~ to <code>code</code> and
=verbatim= to <code class="verbatim">verbatim</code>.

In that case the user can decide himself how to render them. In my
default CSS I would render the ~code~ in monospace with a light gray
background (different from the whole page background) and =verbatim=
with monospace only but without extra background color.

Kind
Christian