Re: org-up-element does not the same for all structural blocks

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-up-element does not the same for all structural blocks
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 09:24:52 +0000

Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr writes:

> With an org file like
>
>    * h
>    #+begin_export ascii
>    foo
>    #+end_export
>
> putting the cursor on 'foo' and doing
>
>    M-x org-up-element
>
> brings the cursor on '* h'.  Same with the following blocks:
>
> ‘#+begin_comment’ ... ‘#+end_comment’
> ‘#+begin_example’ ... ‘#+end_example’
> ‘#+begin_export’ ... ‘#+end_export’
> ‘#+begin_export html’ ... ‘#+end_export’
> ‘#+begin_export latex’ ... ‘#+end_export’
> ‘#+begin_src’ ... ‘#+end_src’ (I tried org and lisp)
> ‘#+begin_verse’ ... ‘#+end_verse’
>
> But for those two blocks:
>
> ‘#+begin_center’ ... ‘#+end_center’
> ‘#+begin_quote’ ... ‘#+end_quote’
>
> the cursor is moved to the beginning of the block instead, which I
> find strange.

This is to be expected. Center blocks, Quote blocks, and special blocks
are "greater elements", which can directly contain other Org elements
inside. Thus,

#+begin_center
Text
#+end_center

is interpreted as

(center-block (paragraph))

So, `org-up-element' with point at paragraph will move to parent
center-block.

In contrast, comment/example/export/src/verse are "lesser blocks", which
cannot contain other Org elements inside - their contents is taken
verbatim:

#+begin_comment
Text
#+end_comment

is interpreted as

(comment-block)

with point at "Text", current element is comment-block, and its parent
is headline in your example.

https://orgmode.org/worg/org-syntax.html#orgb8e0d51

Also, see https://orgmode.org/worg/org-syntax.html#Greater_Elements

--