Re: section continuation

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: section continuation
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 19:47:32 +0700

On 28/12/2022 03:22, abq@bitrot.link wrote:
Second, did I cover all the necessary changes to make section-continuation generally useful? I.e. Skip folding of lone-dash sections when folding all the sections at their level.
Unfold them when unfolding the containing section.
Skip them when jumping to next/previous section.
Skip numbering them.
Display them at one level shallower than currently standard in org-indent-mode.

- Various operations with subtrees: kill, yank, refile
- Getting refile/goto targets
and perhaps more functions spread over Org .el files. That is why it is hardly viable as a 3rd party extension.

It still would be a tree, but with interleaved block-level text elements and subheadings, while currently subheadings must follow heading text. What is more close to graph is org-transclusion.

Certainly more liberal structure may confuse readers. It has advantages for early drafts and notes more close to mind maps. During collection of notes it can not be anticipated which peace of information will be expanded with a lot of details. Before publishing document should be reworked to make it more linear.

HTML documents may be more interactive and have more decorations than printed papers, so I am unsure concerning the export common denominator argument. There is a variant of continue parent section for poors: create a 1 level deeper subsection "<title> (continued)".

I am still in doubts if increased complexity and performance impact outweigh benefits.