Re: [OT] org and diff

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [OT] org and diff
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:30:26 -0700

hi marcin,

thanks for your blog post on my crash-proof editing idea.

more below

On 12/17/22, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:

> On 2022-12-17, at 03:06, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> marcin> One question I'd ask is: how important a legible diff is to
>> you?  I keep my Org files in Git, too, but if /I/ know what was
>> changed, I just don't care about diff going nuts and I treat it as
>> (more or less) Git's internal implementation detail.
>>
>> for org, i mostly use git for reviewing changes.  it is only one step
>> more sophisticated than saving old and diffing.
>>
>> i have lots of tools for improving diff, but this intermingling

[n.b. i have an still unpubolished package for 30 years that
postprocesses diff and is extremely powerful, and it can if you are
reviewing an ientire repo changes, to some degree nullify the
intermingling issue, but its integration with magit, and magit's bugs
with intra-hunk staging [2 bugs ime], make the intermingling an issue.
with no bugs, less of an issue, mnerely because it is desirable to use
magit instead of merely reviewing it and intra-hunk staging [and
killing] is part of that.  but i use old magit, with --- +++, istead
of new magit, which does not supply headers.  idk if new magit fixes
the bugs.

so really i was askig about the intermingling issue and whetehr it
could be mitigated at the magit/git level.]

> Well, "months of changes" seems tough.  I sometimes (rarely) have to
> enter 2 days' worth of changes...  It requires discipline, but
> discipline pays off in /so many areas of life/...

not sure what you men to say in this case about discipline.  my
circumstances if i told you about you'd be surprised.  my physical
survival is very much at issue and i have no  support for dalin with
it.

i.e. not sure if this was aimed at me or a general comment, and the
emphasis i wasn't sure what it was referring to.

>> days as normal.  i find reviewing changes to be valuable.  every once
>> in a while i discover data corruption or something that i forgot etc.
>
> Yes, same here.
>
>> i wonder if diff, or difftastic, could be taught or postprocessed to
>> do merely one thing: try to preserve stuff between "^\\*+ ".  that is
>> probably too optimistic, but imagine a --preserve-between option.
>
> I afraid so.  Difftastic does not support Org mode format.  However, the

huh.  so it's a hard problem [i.e. parser needed rather than merely
kluydging with entries].  :[

> tree-sitter page claims that Org parser is under way, so there's hope
> (AFAIK difftastic uses tree-sitter under the hood).

great.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com