Re: section continuation (was: Is the cascading logic of outlines a feat

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: section continuation (was: Is the cascading logic of outlines a feature, or a design bug?)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:22:47 -0700

i can't offer an enticing bikeshed, but i often do this, which is
possibly tangential but maybe sparks ideas.

* topic
*** REF this entry goes at top of siblings below topic
*** x [x sort of means "the topic per se"]
this is actually the text that belongs to topic, and it is under x
because i need it as a sibling with other siblings.

another issue is that it is confusing enough even with the org model
when i have child tasks below lots of body text.
*** AKEYWORD i want this entry at bot of topic

idk if this is useful to anybody else, but i find myself using x as a
generic "this is the actual topic but it needs siblings" kind of
thing.  it does have one drawback which is that the agenda shows x
instead of the top heading.

it is merely a quick habit.  i wonder if anybody else does it.  there
is no special org behavior or anythng.

On 12/27/22, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2022 at 01:08:41PM +0000, abq@bitrot.link wrote:
>> tomas wrote:
>> > I already proposed
>> > having one canonical heading meaning "back to that level", say dash
>> > or dot
>>
>> > Now for that to be useful, you'd have to gather enough users who
>> > like the idea and use the convention. It's a communication medium,
>> > after all :-)
>>
>> The question isn't only how people interpret their files, but also how
>> their
>> software interprets their files.
>
> The second would follow from the first, I guess.
>
>> Is anyone here aware of anyone who uses a lone dash or dot or comma
>> heading
>> for some other purpose? [...]
>
>> To bikeshed the character, dash is commonly used in tree viewers to
>> indicate
>> a folded heading [...]
>
> Great! I see you're already in the middle of it :-)
>
> Cheers
> --

The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com