Re: Recommended way to work on main without upgrading Org?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Recommended way to work on main without upgrading Org?
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 15:22:29 +1100

Karthik Chikmagalur <karthikchikmagalur@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to work on the main branch of Org, with the intent of creating a
> patch.
> However, I need to continue using Org 9.5 for everyday work in a separate
> Emacs session as
> I can't have things breaking.  Is there a recommended way to run two
> simultaneous
> instances of Emacs using two different Org versions?
>
> I use Straight to install Org 9.5.  I've cloned the latest main branch from
> Savannah to
> work on, but I'm not able to test my changes cleanly since there are two org
> versions in
> the mix -- technically three including the built-in version that's been
> shadowed.
>
> Karthik

Have a look at the chemacs2 package
https://github.com/plexus/chemacs2.git

With this package, you can define multiple Emacs profiles, making it
easy to start Emacs with different configurations or package
versions. For example, I have a number of different profiles, including
'default', 'experiment' and 'vanilla'.

My default profile is my normal day-to-day emacs configuration.
The 'experiment' profile is where I am trying out different packages or
different configurations. When there has been a major new release of a
package I rely on (such as org), I will usually upgrade in the
'experiment' profile and try it out to verify it has no major issues
before I install it in my default profile.

The 'vanilla' profile is a very basic and as close to 'out of the box'
configuration as I can do. I use it when I've discovered a bug and want
to both verify it isn't due to any of my configuration and provide
a minimal reproducible case which works with Emacs default
configuration.

All I have to do to use the non-default profile is start Emacs with the
command argument --with-profile=<name> where <name> is the profile name
I want to run.