Re: [FR] Add support for racket images in org-babel

From: dalanicolai
Subject: Re: [FR] Add support for racket images in org-babel
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 13:34:15 +0100

Thanks for your answer!

You likely need to extend `org-babel-scheme--table-or-string' to
understand Image: type.

It looks to me that when `org-babel-execute:scheme` gets executed, then the result will not get inserted as a link, as that would require the results type 'file', right?
From the manual, it seems to me that using the 'file' type is required to get the result inserted as a link.

However, I can not see how the code does the following as explained in the manual.

The manual states (under Type/file):
If ‘file’ header argument is missing, Org generates the base name of the output file from the name of the code block, and its extension from the ‘file-ext’ header argument. In that case, both the name and the extension are mandatory.
suggesting that a file gets written also when there is no :file header argument.

But from the `and` condition here in `org-babel-execute-src-block`, it looks to me that a file is only written when a :file argument is provided (via the `with-temp-file` that follows within the 'when file ...').
Anyway, this I only found when trying to find out how the result gets formatted as a link.

I guess to get the racket `Image` file-path to formatted correctly, it would be preferable to only touch ob-scheme for that. In which case, I think the 'result' under 'org-babel-result-cond' at the end of 'org-babel-execute:scheme' should get (re)formatted conditionally (when the results is a racket image (link)).

So in the end, I conclude that maybe the advice as mentioned in my 'original' mail, might be already the 'cleanest' solution (and that it does not cause any problem concerning a file getting written to disk, as luckily, org does not seem to write files when no :file header argument is given). Anyway, I am struggling to find out how to come up with an alternative clean(er) solution.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 at 13:38, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
dalanicolai <dalanicolai@gmail.com> writes:

> I have not asked anywhere yet, but I do not know a 'standard org-mode' way
> to make org-mode show the plot images. Racket creates a temp image file and
> returns a string that includes the path to the file. The actual format of
> the string is:
>
> "\"#<Image: /var/tmp/geiser-img-16711484841671148484684.png>\""
>
> I could create a patch for it, but I am not sure how to best implement it
> (in a clean way).

You likely need to extend `org-babel-scheme--table-or-string' to
understand Image: type.

> however, it would be great if support could be added to ob-scheme itself.
> I would be happy to do it, but as mentioned before I don't think I know how
> to do it in the proper way. I would probably just add a condition around the
> 'result' in 'org-babel-execute:scheme' as follows:

I do not know much about scheme.

Generally, ob-* libraries try their best to convert native language
types to Elisp. If #<Image: ...> is something that is unambiguously
identified as image file, I do not see why we cannot support it,
converting the #<Image: ...> representation to file link. Especially,
when users request :results file.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,