[HELP] Things to help Org that do not involve programming

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: [HELP] Things to help Org that do not involve programming
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 13:17:35 +0000

Esteban Ordóñez <quiliro@riseup.net> writes:

>> More things also require translation in `org-export-dictionary'.
>
> That sounds long .... Is there something concrete which is important to
> help with?  I can destinate about 2 hours per week.  Maybe a little
> more.

`org-export-dictionary' is not really that long. It has 22 phrases to be
translated or checked in the language you speak. The list itself looks
rather long only because it is already translated to a number of
languages.

Other important area where we can use help is WORG. Pages in
https://orgmode.org/worg/ are often outdated or even have dead links.
Checking WORG for inconsistencies and proposing new blog article links
would be very helpful. This can be done one article at a time and does
not really require a one-time effort. Rather a persistence reading
things one by one (TODO list can help ;))

Yet another thing that is coming to my mind is checking command
descriptions in the manual. We currently have a number of commands with
docstrings diverged from what we have in the manual. It would help to
identify inconsistencies and amend the manual. (Ideally, the manual
should contain more than a docstring; tips for usage, for example).

Further, there is a number of ideas I noted wrt documentation/articles:

- It would be useful to have a set of suggested configuration tricks +
  third-party packages for people interested in different aspects of
  Org: writing fiction; writing non-fiction/science; publishing; babel
  and code evaluation; interactive notebooks; GTD and task management;
  knowledge management/note-taking; spreadsheets; cooking; tracking
  habits; etc

  We partially have this by linking to separate articles, like in
  https://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.html, but having a common
  "intro" pages for different Org aspect would help a lot to get
  started for newbies.

- We may accumulate a series of short videos/screencasts illustrating
  distinct workflows/features, similar to
  https://orgmode.org/features.html or https://emacsrocks.com/

- We might have interviews with people who use Org mode in really unusual
  ways; people who really think that their life has changed after they
  started using Org, or just people with interesting and well-rounded
  workflows.

- We may have interactive tutorials in a form of Org files with src
  blocks to make it easy getting started with common use patterns.
  Similar to Emacs tutorial or good old interactive books.

If there is interest, we can split the above into smaller tasks and
assign small chunks (like one article/manual section) to different
people.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,