Re: Completely hide properties drawer in 9.6

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Completely hide properties drawer in 9.6
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 09:15:15 +0000

Sterling Hooten <hooten@gmail.com> writes:

> In <https://list.orgmode.org/87zh9ecfgc.fsf@localhost/> Ihor suggested
> adding `org-custom-properties-hide-emptied-drawers', this was
> rejected, but is pretty close to the desired behavior, except it's
> still global. I was unable to get this working in release 9.6.

I do have this implemented in local branch. Just did not push it
upstream as it was rejected.

> Prior to 9.6 I overwrote org-cycle-heading to hide the properties box
> using overlays. This worked alright but had slowdowns on larger files
> and affected typing cadence noticeably. Org 9.6 is now relying on text
> properties instead of overlays, and I would like help replicating (and
> improving) that behavior.

Note that Emacs 29 does not have issues with large numbers of overlays.

> Part of the complication comes from updating modified timestamps in
> the properties of each heading. This drives the need for hiding to be
> fast so as not to bog down the editing experience when triggered by
> `after-change-functions'.

This is handled by org-fold-core.el library.
Note that you can use the library to introduce new fold types.
Editing inside folds is optimized. All other concerns are also handled
within org-fold-core.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,