Re: Autoloading side effects (was: Re: [BUG] org-mouse is activated with

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Autoloading side effects (was: Re: [BUG] org-mouse is activated without explicit require)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 23:20:19 +0700

On 12/12/2022 17:25, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

I am afraid, requirement that loading should not cause side effects is
too strict and it will make usage inconvenient. Examples:
- ol-info calls `org-link-set-parameters'.

We have `org-modules' that can handle calling `org-link-set-parameters'.

Sorry, but I have not got your idea. Currently `org-modules' is just a list of packages that should be loaded with org.el.

It is possible to introduce some convention either in Org or in Emacs to add default action for a package. Then in addition to just loading a package (with no side effects) a set of functions should be implemented that loads and *activates* the package.

- org-protocol installs an advice for `server-visit-files'. (It should
not be necessary, but currently Emacs does not provide a better option.)

Can we ask Emacs devs to help us with this problem?

org-protocol may use approach similar to emacsclient-mail.desktop without advice:

Exec=sh -c "exec emacsclient --alternate-editor= --display=\\"\\$DISPLAY\\" --eval \\\\(message-mailto\\\\ \\\\\\"%u\\\\\\"\\\\)"

By adding another bunch of backslashes and a bit more complex shell command it is possible to avoid at least obvious issues with the command above.

Actually I have created

Implement `command-line-args-left' for emacsclient --eval expressions

but I was too late to the party. The discussion in

28.1.91; emacsclient-mail.desktop doesn't work for me

was stalled with no outcome.