Re: Flyspell process called frequently when using Org export (was: Flysp

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Flyspell process called frequently when using Org export (was: Flyspell causes severe slowdown when manipulating footnotes)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 09:30:27 +0000

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> Upon further investigation, Org frequently starts and kills the
> spellchecker when the document contains `LocalWords' comments.
>
> 1. Start Emacs
>
>    emacs -Q
>
> 2. Configure Flyspell
>
>    (add-hook 'text-mode-hook #'flyspell-mode)
>    (add-hook 'prog-mode-hook #'flyspell-prog-mode)
>
> 3. Create a new Org file
>
>    # LocalWords: xyz
>
>    Hello there!
>
> 4. Export the file to HTML
>
> Expected:
>
>   No Ispell process started on export.
>
> Actual:
>
>   A new Ispell process started on export.

Confirmed.
This is because `org-html-final-function' uses `mhtml-mode' to indent the
resulting html file. `mhtml-mode' unconditionally runs `prog-mode-hook'
thus starting Ispell.

We may try `delay-mode-hooks' around `set-auto-mode', but it is not
honoured by `mhtml-mode'. I guess we can report this as Emacs bug.

> P.S. I also see Org starting Ispell over and over when holding down
> `C-v' in a long document that contains lots of scattered `LocalWords'
> comments.

This sounds like a normal Ispell behaviour.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,