Re: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 14:01:58 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> In my testing, I found a strange case where, in *scratch*, I get:
>>
>> (message "%s" org-version)
>> ;; Error undefined
>> ;; Do 'C-h v org-version'
>> (message "%s" org-version)
>> 9.3
>>
>> So, 'describe-variable' on org-version causes Org to be loaded?!?
>
> Why is it so surprising?  Is this the first time you see that a Help
> command loads something to do its job?

Please note that David's recipe is _not_ what I described in the bug
report.

I am referring to the problem people run into when using M-x
package-install.

AFAIU, package-install must not depend on the older version of a package
being loaded/not loaded.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,