Re: [BUG] Add option for category to be derived from #+TITLE instead of

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: [BUG] Add option for category to be derived from #+TITLE instead of file name [9.6 ( @ /nix/store/jv2kmcbm79k4g6i778hblw98l0pxxghf-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/org-9.6/)]
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 13:01:47 +0530

Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> writes:

> After discovering categories
> (https://orgmode.org/manual/Categories.html) I'd like to use them
> everywhere because it makes agenda cleaner. But currently, it has only
> below options to get this value (in order of precedence, highest to lowest)
>
> - #+CATEGORY property (if present)
> - file name
>
> While I can set the property in my capture templates, it will only take
> effect on newly created files and will not retroactively apply all the
> previously created ones.
>
> As such, I'd like to propose adding variable to allow user to specify
> whether #+TITLE property should be preferred over #+CATEGORY. The
> default can continue as is, but if the user chooses to perfer title,
> order of preference will look like (highest to lowest):
>
> - #+TITLE (if present)
> - #+ CATEGORY (if present)
> - file name

Actually this is a mistake. It should always prefer explicit property
(#+CATEGORY) over implicit (#+TITLE). So the order should look like (if
the user modifies the variable, highest to lowest):

- #+CATEGORY (if present)
- #+TITLE (if present AND if user sets the variable)
- file name

Apologies for confusion.

Thanks,
Payas