Re: Interest in an Org video meetup?

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: Interest in an Org video meetup?
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 20:45:48 -0500

Hello, Russell, all!

> That's making a time and place for everyone to meet, but then do as
> they like among each other.
This is an interesting idea to try. (I am more used to presentation +
free-for-all discussions.)
> I'm happy to give a presentation, but would rather encourage a regular
> meeting which is more of a group workshop.

Russell, are you available at some point during EmacsConf? Testing breakout rooms in a group workshop / unconference thing might be fun with more participants. Based on last year's Q&A experience, you might get 30 people or so (or maybe more, if you run it over lunch break or next to a more niche talk). I can probably figure out how to add it to the schedule whenever you want.

It could work like this:
- first 5-15 minutes, people propose topics to talk about while you write them down in a screenshared text editor (Emacs, of course). Might have an informal show of virtual hands (not webcam, that makes the performance bad if there are lots of people; just use the raise hands thing) to make sure people aren't going to be waiting by themselves
- you create the breakout rooms and people join the ones they want
- they discuss; people can come back to the main room and join other things
- you can check in on them if you want
- maybe a report back if people want?

Could be a peer-to-peer help thing, could be an Org thing, could be last-minute demos, could be whatever the participants want...

If you or anyone wants to experiment with this, let me know what time you want to schedule it!

Sacha