Single story around subtree export and footnotes, several issues

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Single story around subtree export and footnotes, several issues
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 22:36:46 +0100

Hello.

I have this file:

   #+STARTUP: fnlocal
   * headline 1
   1st call to footnote 1[fn:1]
   [fn:1] footnote 1 body
   * subtree to be exported
   2nd call to footnote 1[fn:1]
   call to footnote 2[fn:2]
   [fn:2] footnote 2 body
   * COMMENT commented headline
   nothing

- 1st issue

I use 'emacs -Q'

   GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
     3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4) of 2021-08-07
   Org mode version 9.4.4 (release_9.4.4 @ /usr/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/org/)

and visit the file with 'C-x C-f'.

I export the subtree with 'C-c C-e C-s l o' on the "subtree to be
exported" headline and get the dreadful

   Wrong type argument: consp, nil

- 2nd issue

If I delete the 1st line (#+STARTUP: fnlocal) and export the subtree
again, it gives the same error message, but, if I save the file with
'C-x C-s', revisit it with 'C-x C-v <RET>' and export the subtree
again, then I get a pdf which is as initially expected, in particular
with the line '2nd call to footnote 1^1 call to footnote 2^2' and both
footnotes.

- 3rd issue

I quit emacs, restart it with 'emacs -Q' and revisit the original
file.

I delete the two lines with '[fn:2]', and export the subtree again; I
get the pdf file I expect with "2nd call to footnote 1^1" and the
footnote.

- 4th issue

I quit emacs, restart it with 'emacs -Q', do 'M-x
toggle-debug-on-error', revisit the original file and export the
subtree again.

(I get a Backtrace which is about 21000 characters so I ommit it so
far.)

But the buffer is narrowed; I only see:

   2nd call to footnote 1[fn:1]
   call to footnote 2[fn:2]
   [fn:2] footnote 2 body

- 5th issue

After widening it with 'C-x n w', I apparently see my original file,
but if I do 'C-x s', and answer 'y' to the following question
(debug3.org is the name of my file):

   Save file /home/cochard/Org/debug3.org? (y, n, !, ., q, C-r, C-f, d or C-h)

then, using for example 'cat debug3.org' from a terminal, I can see
that the last two lines of the file, i.e.,

   * COMMENT commented headline
   nothing

have disapeared.

Nothing makes sense for me. Thanks in advance for any explanation.

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr