RE: org-assert-version considered harmful

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: RE: org-assert-version considered harmful
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 07:51:50 +0000

"Cook, Malcolm" <MEC@stowers.org> writes:

>> It should not be necessary and it does not happen on my side (as you can
>> imagine, I re-compile very often).
>
> Perhap's my issue stems from the particular versions of org I was upgrading
> between and/or (earlier) poor management of multiple contending org versions
> (e.g. git head v. melpa v. system).

That might be possible. Because Emacs does not properly update macro
definitions in the already compiled files.

See https://orgmode.org/list/jwvsfkv5s7l.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org

However, the current, more forgiving, version of org-assert-version
should only complain when upgrading to different Org version. make clean
is a good measure even during normal upgrades though. Because of the
Emacs limitation.

> ```
> cd ~/.emacs.d/org-mode && git pull && make clean && make autoloads && make
> PERL5LIB=
> ```
>
> And then relaunch emacs, where it gets picked up due to:
>
> ```
> (use-package org ;org-plus-contrib                    ; instead of org-mode
>   :pin manual
>   :load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp"
> )
> ```
>
> ... which occurs very early in my init file (just after bootstrapping package
> system and latest use-package).
>
> So, I've got (again) a working strategy.
>
> I'm really wondering if all this is needlessly complex.

The above should be safe.
Whatever straight.el does also work for me as long as I put Org loading
early in my init.el.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,