Re: Line breaks and brackets in LaTeX export

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Line breaks and brackets in LaTeX export
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 06:15:13 +0000

> On 02/11/2022 13:46, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> Ihor Radchenko writes:
>>
>>> Should we, instead of using exact "\\[0pt]" string for line breaks,
>>> define a new LaTeX command and then clean it up? This will distinguish
>>> between \\[0pt] added by users explicitly and the ones generated
>>> automatically by Org.
>>
>> I guess it will not work for that fancy table package we discussed
>> above.
>
> tabularray package will require \NewTableCommand
>
>> Maybe the Max's idea with "\\[0pt]%some comment indicator"?
>> I am just worried that % does have side effects in LaTeX.
>
> TeX reads
>
> "a% comment
>    b"
>
> as "ab", dropping newline and starting spaces. Of course, advanced users
> may redefine category of "%" from comment to something else (regular
> character, command prefix like \, etc.) like it is done inside verbatim
> environment.

These arguments mean that auto-cleaning \\[0pt] is not always safe and
may be a subject of surrounding LaTeX context. Moreover, there is no
clear alternative to \\[0pt] that is guaranteed to work.
Thus, the whole idea with cleaning up the generated LaTeX cannot be
enabled by default, and I am not even sure if it is something we want to
implement in the core.

Juan, maybe you have some good alternative suggestions?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,