Re: org table proposal: merge and split cells in org-tables

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org table proposal: merge and split cells in org-tables
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 09:25:50 +0000

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> To solve that problem personally, I use Asciidoctor, see how it is
> done there:
>
> Example 76. Table with formatted, aligned and merged cells:
> https://docs.asciidoctor.org/asciidoc/latest/syntax-quick-reference/#ex-cell-format

I am sorry, but this looks unreadable. I would avoid re-using such
syntax ideas.

> Org has Babel, for purposes of HTML output, Org file could use Bable
> to get HTML return from Babel containing Asciidoc and embed it in Org
> HTML.

Sure. And we do use pretty much the same approach to export table.el
tables, which are supported by Org natively (up to a limit). But this
proposal is about bringing cell merging into native Org tables.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,