Re: Inserting arbitrary lines before tables with Babel

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Inserting arbitrary lines before tables with Babel
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 04:43:22 +0000

Kierin Bell <bellkierin@gmail.com> writes:

> When evaluating Babel code blocks with a ':results table' header
> argument, what is the best way to automatically insert text _outside_
> of the table?
>
> For example, if I have a source block:
> #+NAME: get-random-table
> #+begin_src R :var length=12 :results table
>   runif(length)
> #+end_src
>
> ... Then 'org-babel-execute-maybe' (C-c C-v e) will output a nicely
> formatted Org table:
> #+RESULTS: get-random-table
> |  0.645291731692851 |
> | 0.0425670417025685 |
> |  0.220107783330604 |
> |  0.413881630403921 |
> |  0.817712268792093 |
> |  0.972381719155237 |
>
> ... But if I want to insert a line, for example containing a 'NAME'
> keyword, before and _outside of_ that table, there seems to be no easy
> way to do this automatically.

Just insert it right before #+results keyword. #+results is just another
affiliated keyword and can be combined with others.

#+NAME: random-table-1
#+RESULTS: get-random-table
|  0.645291731692851 |
| 0.0425670417025685 |
|  0.220107783330604 |
|  0.413881630403921 |
|  0.817712268792093 |
|  0.972381719155237 |

Also, if you use :exports results, you can refer to the table as
"get-random-table" - the same with the source block name.

> Trying to insert lines using subsequent code blocks (arguments, noweb,
> etc.) will either strip Org table formatting or add additional lines
> within the table instead of outside of it (depending on the ':results'
> arguments). There is the same problem with using a ':post' header
> argument, and ':wrap' does not allow arbitrary insertion of individual
> lines.

What is wrong with the example in 16.6 Results of Evaluation? It shows
how to prepend #+ATTR_LATEX :width 5cm. #+NAME: would be the same.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,