Re: org-x11idle-exists-p with emacs --daemon

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-x11idle-exists-p with emacs --daemon
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 05:19:00 +0000

>>> emacsclient --eval '(server-select-display (getenv "DISPLAY"))'
>>
>> You are talking about a different problem.
>> Please start a new thread.
>
> Nope
>
> emacs -Q -L ~/src/org-mode/lisp/ --daemon
> emacsclient --eval window-system
> nil
>
> emacsclient --eval '(server-select-display (getenv "DISPLAY"))'
> emacsclient --eval window-system
>
> I suspect that the check of `window-system' was added to detect Emacs
> instances running as pure terminal applications having no access to X11
> and the case of daemon was simply overlooked.

The reported problem is related to the fact that org-x11idle-exists-p
value is calculated at load time.

emacsclient --eval '(server-select-display (getenv "DISPLAY"))' may or
may not help depending on when (require 'org) is being executed.

The problem you are talking about is when no Emacs frames are present.
It is a problem that require different solution.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,